[DeTomaso] Gas tank removal/chassis rust

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jan 8 15:53:20 EST 2016

In a message dated 1/8/16 2 43 40, owen at tadhgcooke.com writes:

> your advice would be appreciated
>

>>>Do you already have rust and are you cutting/welding on the car to
remove it?   Or is the car solid, and you are just taking steps to prevent it
from appearing?

There is a main structural piece welded to the sheetmetal, between the tank
and the sheetmetal, and this piece is known to rust out badly.   If it's
solid now and you want to keep it that way,   you should take steps to protect
it.   But rather than taking out the engine and gearbox, I would probably
seek a way to access it from the front.   I've never tried this myself, but
in looking at the structure of the car, it seems to me that you could
carefully drill a small hole through the structure at the top of the firewall, or
perhaps from above, next to the gas tank, and spray material into this
channel?

I have some photos of the relevant area on my Ipad that I will send along
in a moment....