[DeTomaso] More Anti-Footbal Pics, comments, was Re: Anti Football Run

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Wed Jan 6 15:30:32 EST 2016

 Some pics not taken by me:
http://www.photovisionone.com/Events/Car-Events/2016-Antifootball-Rally/

>There was some drama the day before when I noticed one of the front tires was low, like sidewall to the ground, so was up extra early and shot some Slime into it, pumped it up in the dark.  Seemed to do the trick, but I badly need to replace the fronts, find some less-old XWX's or do the Radial T/A thing all around.  Surprisingly, I don't have and extra set of wheels, stockers seem to be not as cheap right now as before.

>>>I recall selling you a set of 1971 wheels (at the time I was unaware of the significant differences that would make them visually unsuited to your L-model) in about 1992.  What happened to those?
Yes still have those.  Didn't realize they were different.  Painted gold and black IIRC.  Not sure I want to get into figuring out what is the exactly best way to refinish them, not right now.

You don't really need a second set of wheels though--you just need a single quality set of tires on your good, existing wheels.
IIt's handy to have options though.  I could totally rationalize modern muscle car tires on one set and XWX's on another.

>Speaking of wheels, this no-room-for-a-full-size spare thing ... so far I've avoided coming home on the slider bed truck, but it's kinda silly.

>>>No, it's not.

> I know some of the new cars don't have any spare, but depending on emergency road service or the charity of others rubs me the wrong way.

>>>This isn't Mad Max.  And it's not like you ever take the car a thousand miles from home.

> I actually left a Ford wheel and tire on my driveway with a label: "This One", imagining that conceivably, if I had a flat someone could find the tire on the driveway and bring it to me.  Maybe a better idea would be to spring for one of those high pressure skinny spares off a late model Ford, one that would fit in the rear trunk.  Lashing a spare to the roof, rally-style, I'm not there yet.

>>>Well, think about it for a moment.  Imagine the worst--you get a flat rear tire.  So you leap into action, jack up the car, remove the flat, install the spare tire, inflate it...and then what?

Throw your Campagnolo and flat tire away and motor off on three factory wheels and a donut?  There's no place to put the flat tire/spare in the car.

Radically different tire sizes front to rear are cool, till they aren't.  Having a viable spare would increase options though.  Hide the removed tire in the bushes, or maybe a helpful stranger could take it.  The best helpful stranger would be driving something with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.  Flat fix and yarn patches increase options also.  People who drive Brand X cars could step up and bring useful spares.

No.  You pull out your AAA card, call the tow truck, and motor home in a dignified manner.  Well, as dignified as you can be when your pride and joy is on a tow truck anyway! :>)