[DeTomaso] Tom Tjaarda on Creativity

Gray Gregory rgg at gregorycook.com
Wed Jan 6 07:58:31 EST 2016

I had a similar experience the first time I met Tom. It was around 99 or 2000 at the Italian car event at Pocono. I met him at the track event and gave him a ride in my Pantera race car (now Kirby's race car); which upon returning to the pits I found out it was his first ever ride in a Pantera on a race tract! To this day he has never forgotten it and whenever I see him he refers to me as "me pilota".

Anyway the following day I ran into him on the lawn at the car show and we ended up walking around the show together. whenever I would comment on a particular car either pro or con he would stop and explain to me why I probably liked or disliked the car. It was fascinating how he could dissect tiny little details in the lines of any given car and explain to someone with no design talent or experience how they effected the overall look and stance of a car. Without a doubt it was the best car show experience of my life!

Tom is truly an amazing designer and a prince of a guy!

Gray