[DeTomaso] New observation, was Re:  Ignition switch

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 15:58:39 EST 2016

In a message dated 1/3/16 9:53:33 AM, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net writes:

> But I did realize, once I get the key past accessory to ignition,
> sometimes using a small crescent wrench now, it easily goes back and forth from
> ignition to accessory and back again.  Only going back to lock restarts the
> sequence of near impossible to get from accessory to ignition.
> Not going to solve this problem on-line, but wonder if this proves
> anything, electrical switch vs. mechanical tumbler thing.
>

>>>First of all, crescent wrenches and ignition keys don't mix.   That's
how you wind up with a two-piece key. :<(

I have heard of difficulty going from the "OFF" position to the accessory
position--that involves overcoming a cam inside the switch, and releasing the
steering lock.   But once those hurdles are overcome, there is really
nothing that should be preventing free and easy movement between the accessory
and run positions????

What's especially odd is that you say movement back and forth between
accessory and run is free and easy until you turn the key off.   Then the
difficulty returns?   Are you sure the problem isn't going from off to accessory?
That's the standard failure mode.

Assuming your description is accurate, it is certainly unique I think.
For sure, your first step should be liberally spraying lock spray (available
at any good auto parts or hardware store) in there (it makes a mess, be ready
with paper towels) and working the switch back and forth.   If you still
have difficulties, remove the electrical portion from the mechanical portion
and see if it changes.   That's a simple bubble sort that will determine if
the problem lies in the electrical portion, or the mechanical portion.   If
it all works smoothly when the electrical bit is removed, then the problem
lies there....

Let us know what you find out?

   In a message dated 1/3/16 9:53:33 AM, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net