[DeTomaso] New observation, was Re: Ignition switch

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 14:02:56 EST 2016

Guido,

Drop the steering column (see below).

The electric switch is held onto the mechanical switch by two screws.
Remove the screws and remove the electrical switch. Not to worry, the
electrical switch will really only fit the mechanical switch in one position.The
electrical switch has all the magic which controls sequential switch movement
and is easily repaired ..... see PanteraPlace. The electrical switch will be
 full of 40 year old hardened grease. I disassembled my switch to clean it,
but  WD40 might work. The electrical switch can be moved from position to
position  with a small screw driver .... remember, unless the battery is
disconnected, the  switch is still active. The mechanical switch can be tested
with the key.

To drop the steering column:

Go  to a hardware store and get two 8 x 1.25 mm x 40 mm (about 1 ½ inch)
bolts.  Longer is
better.  Do not try this without the 8 x 1.25 mm bolts. Remove one of the
steering  column
two  rear clamp bolts completely. Screw one of the new long bolts into the
hole where  you
removed  the first regular bolt. Remove the second rear bolt. Screw the
second long  bolt
into  the second hole. Remove the remaining two front bolts (mine are Allen
head) and  drop
the  column down. The long bolts will support the column, but more
important, they  will
align  the column clamp holes when you put the whole thing back in place
with only  two
hands  and limited tolerance for frustration. You will thank me for this
method,  believe me.

The main  thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.
Do the best you can with what  your have where you are.
Have fun today!
SOBill

In a message dated 1/3/2016 9:53:33 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,