[DeTomaso] New observation, was Re: Ignition switch

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 3 12:53:55 EST 2016

It is easy to remove the electrical portion from the rear of the mechanical switch tumbler (2 screws), my problem was in the electrical portion, with some care you can separate the unit and clean the 40 year old work hardened grease from the copper and ball bearing. With the electrical portions separated from the lock itself you should be able to also see if the key and tumbler function easier, however the use of vice grips or the like sounds like an accident in the making as you are work hardening the key which will likely break in short order.

I didn't use anything near as much force and had a key break in two on a bathroom break somewhere midst Phoenix and Las Vegas, I was fortunate enough to be able to carefully insert the broken portion and judicially wiggle until the two halves mated and lock worked, not an experience I would want to repeat.

Julian