[DeTomaso] Front Brake Caliper Piston Sticking

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 01:00:41 EST 2016

In a message dated 1/2/16 6:57:43 PM, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net writes:

> Who is "Guy"?
>
>>>Uh...YOU are.   That's your name.   Guy Dellavecchia.   Remember? :>)
>
> <FONT COLOR="#000000" FACE="Geneva" FAMILY="SANSS>Anyway, are the original style of brake hose still available?  Maybe I
> could spring for new ones.
>
>>>They're available but obscenely expensive compared to modern braided
stainless steel lines.   They are likely very, very old as well.   Just as you
wouldn't (reasonably) buy 30-year-old crusty tires, it makes no sense to buy
old rubber brake hoses.   The braided stainless/teflon hoses are much less
expensive, work better, and last forever.

> >Probably will bleed the front brakes / change the fluid when I get a
> chance, like summertime.  Does anyone still remove the calipers and bleed them
> in different orientations, tap them with a hammer to help release any air
> bubbles, or is that more or less considered a voodoo ritual now ?
>
>>>I suppose the procedure has some merit, but it does seem a bit
ritualistic as you say.   The stock front calipers can have one or two bleeders,
depending on whether they have been modified.   The stock setup uses external
fluid transfer lines to feed the front and rear chambers, and a pair of
bleeders.

When you buy replacement lines you have to specify whether they are for the
stock calipers, Corvette, or Wilwood, as all three are commonly found, and
all have different-style connections at the caliper end.

   In a message dated 1/2/16 6:57:43 PM, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net