[DeTomaso] HUGH CASEY

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jan 1 15:28:50 EST 2016

Bob wrote:

I just wanted you all to know that our   Pantera Friend Hugh Casey has
passed away.

>>>I've been away from home (first in the mountains with no internet, then
in Japan or in the air, with no internet) and didn't realize the forum had
gone down.   I just now checked the archives and saw this terrible news. :<(

>I had been hoping for some sort   of miracle cure. I spoke with Hugh
every other day this past year in an effort   to help keep his mental
outlook
high. He Fought valiantly for over a   year and now he is resting .

>>>He was an inspiration.   He e-mailed me privately on a frequent basis,
not only to talk about his car, but also to express his fears about his
impending demise.   What was truly remarkable about him is that his fears had
nothing to do with himself.   Instead, he was concerned about how his passing
would effect OTHER people, especially his mother.   He routinely expressed
the kind of selflessness and grace that I would only hope to achieve were I in
his position.

>Hugh's last wish was to drive his   Pantera one last time once his engine
was rebuilt and installed .

>>>Lori's engine was 'in the queue' at Dave McLain's shop, but she and a
lot of other people gladly stepped aside so Dave could finish Hugh's engine
first.   We all knew how important it was for him to get the pleasure of
driving his dream Pantera as soon, and as often as possible, and we were all
heartened when it came to be.   And Dave (and Dan) did an absolutely outstanding
job, from what we subsequently heard.

>Hugh had asked   me to trailer his car back from
Ron McCall's Shop in Baltimore. I asked him then   if he had the strength
drive his baby back from Ron's shop and he immediately   said yes. I had
wanted
to hove more cars join us but it was only the three of us   that escorted
Hugh all the way back. Along with Dennis Sanford The three of   us drove
our
Panteras round trip. I could feel the smile on Hugh's Face all the   way
home .

>>>He briefly told me about that after he got home--his excitement was
palpable, not only with the car, but also with the tremendous support he got
from his fellow local Pantera buddies.

> Hugh was a very proud owner and was always eager to help a   fellow
Pantera
owner.

>>>I'm sad to say that most of our recent correspondence centered around
him asking for my help in selling his car.   He was most concerned that the
car would prove to be a burden to his mother and he wanted to relieve her of
that before he passed.

We last corresponded about it back in October.   I suggested that Ron
McCall would probably be best-positioned to represent the car on his behalf, and
also suggested that Ron in conjunction with Hugh's local friends would do
everything in their power to make the sale of the car (as well as a spare ZF
and a bunch of other parts) as effortless for his mother as possible.   Given
that we were entering the end of the car-buying season, I suggested that it
would be financially better if the sale was delayed until 2016.   What was
left unsaid was that I thought the hole it left in his garage would be
demoralizing, and that even though he could no longer drive the car, he could
receive some pleasure just by seeing it there.   I hope that proved to be the
case.

>I spoke with his mom this morning and   she told me that all he could talk

about the last few months was the trip to   Baltimore to get his car. She
also
told me his family will be putting together a   memorial service for him in

a few months .

>>>I certainly plan to attend, so please keep us all appraised.   I never
had the privilege of meeting him in person, but through our many e-mails (I
just looked back and was surprised to see we had exchanged almost 400 of them
since 2008) I felt I got to know him reasonably well.   Today I am very
saddened by the fact that I didn't take the opportunity to fly out there to
meet him in person, something I had intended to do.

There is a lesson to be learned there for all of us, I think....

>He will be missed for sure by all .

>>>Absolutely!

>I am going to attach some selected   pictures of my friend and his car.

>>>Oddly, I'd never seen a photo of him (I'm not a Facebook guy) and always
thought he was an older gentleman--he wrote with a certain distinction
common to people of a certain age.   So it was with some surprise, and even more
sadness, that today I looked at his Facebook page for the first time and
saw how young he was.   I will attach a great photo he had posted there some
months ago.

I do hope that the local Pantera crew will work to help make the sale of
his car and parts as painless as possible for his mother, and I would like to
offer whatever aid I might be able to provide in the furtherance of that
aim.   Bob, Ron, presuming you are both on board with that project, please keep
me (and Chuck Melton) in the loop.

With a heavy heart....