[DeTomaso] Front Brake Caliper Piston Sticking

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jan 1 15:28:15 EST 2016

Guy wrote:

 Very recently noticed the left front brake is late to apply and late to
release, causing significant swerving.
Was thinking it might "limber up" with additional driving, now wondering if
more driving will only make it worse.
Got to Alameda and back + San Ramon and back earlier, both ~100 mile round
trips, no issue.  This started after that.
Am signed up for a multi-hundred mile event on the first, been too cold and
rainy to do any tinkering.  So maybe I get stranded with a locked wheel.
Or the problem just goes away.
Thoughts, predictions, experience ?

>>>Not getting this until the first, unfortunately.   I presume you are
going on the Anti-Football Rally?   That's a great event!

I will join the chorus of others who suggest the fault lies with the brake
hoses.   Earlier this year, you may recall a short blurb in the PCNC
newsletter about a small tech session at Garry Choate's house.   We were helping to
get a 14K original mile '72 back on the road; the car is bone stock.
Braking left something to be desired and the owner bought Porterfield pads.
During the installation process we discovered that three of the four calipers
were almost completely non-functional due to stock hoses that had
deteriorated and swollen internally, cutting off the flow of fluid (and pressure).
The car was projected to drive there and drive home at the end of the day;
instead it remained behind on jackstands while new braided steel flex hoses
were sourced.

Based on that one experience, and knowing that your car lies dormant for
very long periods of time, I would suggest that you start there.   It may well
be that your calipers are still in fine shape and require no attention, and
all you have to do is change the hoses.   At this point, I think you should
do it just as a matter of principle--yours are 40 years old, after all....

Hope you had fun this morning.   Let us know how it went?