[DeTomaso] Breakes booster

Brian Dudley bd8134 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 11:16:24 EST 2016

Or have your booster rebuilt.

http://www.karpspowerbrake.com/home.html

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Sean Korb <spkorb at gmail.com> wrote:

>    I got mine from Precision Proformance.A  Jack DeRyke has a description
>    below
>    In a message dated 6/15/11 12:16:59 PM, [1]rob at dumoulins.net writes:
>    > J, Can you be more specific?A  Is the conversion written up
>    somewhere?A
>    >
>    Not that I remember, but installation only consisted of unbolting the
>    stocker, bolting the Byars conversion in its place, and fabricating two
>    new brake
>    lines to fit the GM master cylinder. The Byars conversion involved them
>    chopping the 4-stud GM mounts off the booster, welding three new metric
>    studs
>    in place to match the original Pantera mount, then gold-alodine
>    coating. Uses
>    stock nuts, washers and the stock pedal pushrod. It fit but was close
>    on
>    our early L where the inner wheelwell edge snuggles up to the brake
>    booster
>    cannister. On some cars with heavily upholstered front trunks, this is
>    the
>    only area where you might need a small dent. The aluminum GM master
>    cylinder
>    has a built-in 2 lbA  A pressure-hold valve to the front calipers,
>    saving the
>    cost of adding one.
>    The two fabricated lines take SAE flairs, not Euro bubble-flairs; they
>    need
>    to be fabricated because the two outlets are both on the inner fender
>    side
>    of the master cylinder, which does NOT protrude at an odd angle nor
>    stick
>    further into the front trunk space than stock. Finally, paired with
>    certain
>    clutch master cylinder adaptions, the slightly larger dia. brake
>    booster gets
>    very close, and a little file-fitting might be needed. My aluminum
>    Girling
>    clutch master fit unaltered as did a stock iron MS, but there are many
>    such
>    combinations possible.
>    Incidently, it's been in our Pantera for 6 yrs; 2 yrs after I installed
>    it,
>    the plastic vacuum exhaust valve housing cracked for unknown reasons
>    (protrudes into the cabin thru a big hole; I might have done it myself)
>    and Byars
>    overhauled it free of charge. GOOD service! FWIW- J DeRyke
>
>    On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:23 AM, B Hower via DeTomaso
>    <[2]detomaso at poca.com> wrote:
>
>      A  A I got mine there also.........no problems.
>      A  A Bud #3400 ( Drive it like there is no tomorrow -- for there may
>      not be
>      A  A ! )
>      A  A
>      A __________________________________________________________________
>      A  A From: Charles Engles <[3]cengles at cox.net>
> [...]
-------------- next part --------------
   Or have your booster rebuilt.
   [1]http://www.karpspowerbrake.com/home.html

   On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Sean Korb <[2]spkorb at gmail.com> wrote:

     A  A I got mine from Precision Proformance.AA  Jack DeRyke has a
     description
     A  A below
     A  A In a message dated 6/15/11 12:16:59 PM, [1][3]rob at dumoulins.net
     writes:
     A  A > J, Can you be more specific?AA  Is the conversion written up
     A  A somewhere?A
     A  A >
     A  A Not that I remember, but installation only consisted of
     unbolting the
     A  A stocker, bolting the Byars conversion in its place, and
     fabricating two
     A  A new brake
     A  A lines to fit the GM master cylinder. The Byars conversion
     involved them
     A  A chopping the 4-stud GM mounts off the booster, welding three
     new metric
     A  A studs
     A  A in place to match the original Pantera mount, then gold-alodine
     A  A coating. Uses
     A  A stock nuts, washers and the stock pedal pushrod. It fit but was
     close
     A  A on
     A  A our early L where the inner wheelwell edge snuggles up to the
     brake
     A  A booster
     A  A cannister. On some cars with heavily upholstered front trunks,
     this is
     A  A the
     A  A only area where you might need a small dent. The aluminum GM
     master
     A  A cylinder
     A  A has a built-in 2 lbAA  A pressure-hold valve to the front
     calipers,
     A  A saving the
     A  A cost of adding one.
     A  A The two fabricated lines take SAE flairs, not Euro
     bubble-flairs; they
     A  A need
     A  A to be fabricated because the two outlets are both on the inner
     fender
     A  A side
     A  A of the master cylinder, which does NOT protrude at an odd angle
     nor
     A  A stick
     A  A further into the front trunk space than stock. Finally, paired
     with
     A  A certain
     A  A clutch master cylinder adaptions, the slightly larger dia.
     brake
     A  A booster gets
     A  A very close, and a little file-fitting might be needed. My
     aluminum
     A  A Girling
     A  A clutch master fit unaltered as did a stock iron MS, but there
     are many
     A  A such
     A  A combinations possible.
     A  A Incidently, it's been in our Pantera for 6 yrs; 2 yrs after I
     installed
     A  A it,
     A  A the plastic vacuum exhaust valve housing cracked for unknown
     reasons
     A  A (protrudes into the cabin thru a big hole; I might have done it
     myself)
     A  A and Byars
     A  A overhauled it free of charge. GOOD service! FWIW- J DeRyke
     A  A On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:23 AM, B Hower via DeTomaso