[DeTomaso] [SDP] 3277 CHA 1972 DeTomaso Pantera

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 22:57:15 EST 2016

The selling tactics don¹t surprise me at all, though.

10 years ago you were buying Panteras from enthusiasts that loved their
car, but couldn¹t keep it anymore or perhaps they weren¹t driving it and
wanted the space.

Now that prices have risen, you are buying from people that just see a
buck.  Car flippers.  Consigners that want their percentage of the gold
mine.  They don¹t care about Panteras.  They just see profit or maybe
early retirement.  This seller is running a business, not passing the
torch.

Some asking prices are ridiculous.

Take the car in OK recently where the owner ³knew what it was worth², and
promptly asked $150K.  Maybe in pesos.  She priced the car easily twice
what it will bring.  It might have been owned by Peter Revson, but only a
Pantera enthusiast would pay a premium, and I certainly didn¹t see anyone
on the list offering $100K for the car.  Who wouldn¹t pay $100K for a
$150K investment?  I doubt it will bring $80K.  She¹ll be lucky to get in
the 70¹s.

That¹s the reason I dislike the push for higher values.  I like the
Pantera community because of the owners it attracts.  When Pantera hit 6
figures, we¹ll be just another Ferrari club, and the owner demographics
will change.