[DeTomaso] Correct windshield?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 17:24:02 EST 2016

Currently there are two windshield types available- one of clear glass, one blue-green tinted (a bit darker at the top than at the bottom). The side windows are usually a matching tint including the rear quarter glass. Can't verify when tinted glass became factory-available- possibly with the late '72 L models. Stock was marked 'Sicursive' . Our '72 L had a clear 'Sicursive' windshield when we bought it in 1980. It had debonded same way yours did so I replaced it a year later with a tinted one made somewhere in the U.S. Its still just fine. The stainless windshield trim was inset into the stock gasket by means of a shallow L shaped recess molded in to accept a protruding stainless section of the trim.

There are gaskets now made that have no L-recess. Although not stock, the 'blank' gasket makes far more sense than powder-coating or otherwise blacking out the bright stainless trim, then adding it to a slit gasket so it nearly disappears from view 10 ft away against the flat-black gasket. There are windshields now made all over the world that are a little thinner and of slightly different dimensions than the early '70s ones, and some that are 1/2" or so larger in all dimensions for gluing in directly without a gasket, in various tint-shades.

At one time, Hall sold stock-appearing windshields (probably locally made) that had radio antenna wires molded in. The thinner or smaller-dimension glass often tends to leak when driving in the rain since it doesn't stretch the gasket enough to seal. Windshield-glass-specific RTV-silicone is your best recourse since there's no guarantee that fresh glass won't also leak- even if professionally installed. My 2¢- J DeRyke