[DeTomaso] [SDP] Fwd: Clutch Noise ...

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Feb 15 02:31:45 EST 2016

Ed,

None of the above. Methinks your friend screwed up big time when buying parts. Instead of installing a Pantera clutch, he probably just got a generic clutch for a 351C, as used in Mustangs, trucks, or various Aussie cars.

Panteras use a specific clutch that has a different finger height. What you are hearing is the arms on the clutch whanging the inside of the bell housing.

Years ago I helped a guy who was quite young when he bought his Pantera. A big hunk of the bell housing was missing! His clutch was slipping due to misadjustment, but when it was adjusted correctly, it had the same issue as your friend. It was so bad that in the hands of the prior owner it had shattered the bell housing and broke a hunk off (which he never fixed).  We had to misadjust it again so he could get home.

I had an extra Centerforce Pantera clutch, so I gave it to him and naturally that fixed it.

Your friend needs to pull his gearbox and buy a Pantera clutch, if I'm right...

Mike

Sent from my iPad