[DeTomaso] Mismatched Intake and Head Ports

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 17:06:30 EST 2016

Mike, if the intake gaskets can be arranged so they don't suck air or oil, the intake you have may still work. I and others routinely install 2V intakes on Boss and 351-4V heads to de-tune unwanted high-end power and enhance low-end torque for more comfortable around town driving. The resulting step in the ports acts as an 'anti-reversion plate' and falls flat at around 5200 rpms but works fine up to that level, with no other tuning needed. If you find yourself not visiting the upper edges of the tach very often, try it with good intake gaskets & see how it drives.

Its also pretty well known that Edelbrock had a small run of single 4bbl intakes of a particular model in which the ports were set too close to the edges, causing easy gasket failure. If your intake is an Edelbrock, call their tech line and ask them if you have one of those too-thin intakes. In most cases, they will exchange a proper intake for your heads, no questions asked. Good luck.