[DeTomaso] Mismatched Intake and Head Ports

Mike Becker mikebecker679 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 23:24:26 EST 2016

Hey Gang,
I've just torn down my top end on my Pantera because the intake manifold
gaskets were completely destroyed.  They were the so called self-destructing
Felpro Print-O-Seal / Print-O-Leak gaskets.  Only, I see now what the real
problem was.  I went to fit my brand new Edelbrock gaskets and there's no
way they'll work! It turns out I have BOSS 351 heads and a Cleveland intake!
This undoubtedly contributed to the early demise of the old intake gaskets.
because in the mismatch, there are several places where there is minimal
surface contact in order to sandwich the gasket.  The result is that the
gasket isn't held in place for long.  While the engine was still assembled,
there were places where the entire blue stripe on the gasket material was
completely exposed, i.e. not sandwiched between the intake and the head.
See attached photos for the results.

So, now what do I do?

 - Switch to aluminum heads for a couple of grand (can't really afford it)
 - get a BOSS intake (can't seem to find one, they all look like windsor
intakes, except for one NOS unit for 3 grand!)
 - fabricate home-made gaskets

I saw some nice original BOSS 351 iron heads on ebay for $2500.  Are they
really worth that much?  If so, mine are still very fresh, maybe I could
sell them to fund a set of Trickflow aluminum heads.

Somebody please help me before I blow a gasket!

thanks,
Mike Becker (San Diego)
1741