[DeTomaso] Really Rough Pantera on Ebay at $25K

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:45:45 EST 2016

I suspect there are a large number of potential owners who would get a Pantera if they could afford one, that populous has likely grown of late with increasing prices of our cars. I would postulate that these project cars appeal to that group, who want a Pantera and this is the only way of being able to afford to get into one. Thus that reflects in some fierce competition by way of strong bidding and the car goes for more than 'we' think it should. At this point the restoration cost maybe somewhat immaterial to these buyers in their desire to own a Pantera knowing that restoration costs can be spread over months, years or decades, but they are on the ownership ladder.

There are then in addition the 'flippers', the professionals or semi-professionals who ill restore the car and expect it to command big $$ due to its low mileage and ownership history.

At least this candidate is reported to be complete (less steering wheel center) and not a stripped down box of parts that adds the risk of not all being there. An attempt has been made to assess extent of rust, but given the car doesn't appear to have moved of late I suspect it was a cursory look at best. If the seller can show the car has been parked and non op for a long period the recorded mileage might be believable too, unlike many other reputed low mile cars that have no paperwork and you have to question whether they have been around the clock.

It would be interesting to follow this car; I wouldn't be surprised to see it cross the block at a major auction in the future "as a true barn find restoration, and lowest miles of any Pantera". Albeit there is GT5 for sale in Europe that has a reported 2,800kms on it, one owner supposedly the King of Saudi Arabia.

Julian