[DeTomaso] MSD distributor

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 17:53:03 EST 2016

Jim, in my opinion a bronze gear is only a stop-gap piece best used to get you home in an emergency, not to run for a long time. Originally designed for drag racing 1320 feet at a time. Depending on how hard you drive, the oil pump your car runs and a host of other things, the bronze gear will 'last' from 5000 to 20,000 miles, also depending on how empathic you are with your engine. It will be running poorly due to gear-tooth wear far earlier than 20K miles... There are several steel gears available if you need them- Dan Jones has written of them in the past. There is also a rather expensive  kevlar-composite gear available for 351-Cs from a small shop in MI, of which I know nothing. I personally would use a stock iron gear if at all possible.

And I still advocate upgrading the stock spring steel drive gear pin AND extension shaft in any 351-C distributor- stock or modified.  On that same theme, MSD reportedly uses Ford Duraspark distributor internals, in a nice billet distributor body with better bearings and the same fracture-prone Ford gear pin.  I believe D Antenucci found this out during one of his Open-road events. His new engine with new MSD distributor did not make it from his home in So-Cal and through the 92-mile event without busting the new spring-pin.  Good luck- J DeRyke

   What is the recommended # small-cap MSD distributor for our
   more-or-less stock engines. Have aftermarket cam but not a roller.
   Running an MSD 6AL with my Duraspark right now but want to make a
   switch. Is the bronze gear the best way to go?
   Thanks
   Jim Gray

   use the links above.