[DeTomaso] POCA on Facebook

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 07:35:20 EST 2016

This is really the rub.  Facebook is not about you.  It's not about
Panteras and it is not about distributing information.  Any benefit is a
side effect.  They want money and the advertisers not only contribute
through media buys, the information and analytics can be monetized and sold
to other organizations that would also like money.

I'm an avid (maybe rabid) Facebook user and the Detomaso presence on FB is
entertaining and rewarding.  I'm glad it is there.  But you cannot depend
on it as a way to distribute information reliably.  FB needs to know what
you like but if you "like" something that doesn't mean you get more of it.
It means that they will try to guess (though their analytics) what else you
will "like" and test your answers to see if it fits a model.  If they guess
right by presenting the different items and you *do* "like" or "click" or
"comment" or "share" again, it doesn't mean you get more of it.  They want
to *keep*building*the*model*.

In a very spooky coincidence, I posted this methodology on FB to my friends
and I got a FB recruitment letter 6 hours later (I'm a High Performance
Computing professional).  Yiiiikes!

I love FB and I will continue to use it and I encourage a FB presence for
all POCA and other DeTomaso clubs.  But do not *rely* on it for
distributing information.

sean

--
   This is really the rub.A  Facebook is not about you.A  It's not about
   Panteras and it is not about distributing information.A  Any benefit is
   contribute through media buys, the information and analytics can be
   monetized and sold to other organizations that would also like money.
   I'm an avid (maybe rabid) Facebook user and the Detomaso presence on FB
   is entertaining and rewarding.A  I'm glad it is there.A  But you cannot
   depend on it as a way to distribute information reliably.A  FB needs to
   know what you like but if you "like" something that doesn't mean you
   get more of it.A  It means that they will try to guess (though their
   analytics) what else you will "like" and test your answers to see if it
   fits a model.A  If they guess right by presenting the different items
   and you *do* "like" or "click" or "comment" or "share" again, it
   doesn't mean you get more of it.A  They want to
   *keep*building*the*model*.
   In a very spooky coincidence, I posted this methodology on FB to my
   friends and I got a FB recruitment letter 6 hours later (I'm a High
   Performance Computing professional).A  Yiiiikes!
   I love FB and I will continue to use it and I encourage a FB presence
   for all POCA and other DeTomaso clubs.A  But do not *rely* on it for
   distributing information.
   sean

   On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Jeff Detrich <[1]jjdetrich at gmail.com>