[DeTomaso] POCA on Facebook

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:55:35 EST 2016

Ed is doing a super job, we are lucky to have him and his role will be
expanding soon to include website features.
In that most of the new buyers of our cars that are paying 70K -240K are
not "old" guys but younger and middle aged guys, they are the future of
POCA and that includes the way they communicate and their 10 second
attention span.
We must embrace all these communication methods as well as preserve the
work product of the last 40 years of newsletters, Profiles and even Pantera
International's efforts.
They are combined, our version of the Magna Carta, US  Constitution and
Gettysburg Address.
Sadly, many of the old guys will leave the fold for health reasons or
ultimate non-health reasons. We are already behind in preparations to meet
the expectations of these more affluent collectors, we must catch up.
Moreover, with 27% of the newest demographic "millenials" not even getting
a driver's license by age 25 ( bunch of p#@$&#), we have to compete for the
few that were raised right with an appreciation for fine autos and
motorsports.

Let's not take the BS attitude of some who seem to want to let POCA die
when they do, that would be a far greater loss, there is too much knowledge
and expertise that must be saved.

Remember, we are simply caretakers of these cars.
I go to car shows and concours and while I love looking at the cars, I wish
they could talk, can you imagine the stories a Model J Duesenberg or a 810
Cord could tell?

Michael Shortt

-------------- next part --------------
   Ed is doing a super job, we are lucky to have him and his role will be
   expanding soon to include website features.
   In that most of the new buyers of our cars that are paying 70K -240K
   are not "old" guys but younger and middle aged guys, they are the
   future of POCA and that includes the way they communicate and their 10
   second attention span.
   We must embrace all these communication methods as well as preserve the
   work product of the last 40 years of newsletters, Profiles and even
   Pantera International's efforts.
   They are combined, our version of the Magna Carta, USA  Constitution

   On Feb 1, 2016 10:18 PM, "Asa Jay Laughton" <[1]asajay at asajay.com>
     Don't get me wrong, I think Ed's done a great job of getting POCA
     into the facebook generation; I just think there is a limit here and
     huge potential for diminishing returns.A  By recommending everybody
     have one and each Chapter have one, I think it dilutes things, but
     then again, I'm an Introvert by nature and don't think facebook is
     actually a good thing at all.
     How many kids have committed suicide because they were bullied on
     facebook?
     How many kids have lost jobs because of posts where they should have
     kept their mouth shut, or a photo they should never got themselves
     into a position to have taken.
     How many people have lost marriages for similar reasons?
     How many of you have heard about the Dad, who used to look at porn
     occasionally until he stumbled on porn of his -daughter- one day?A
     (sorry, that in itself doesn't have a huge connection to facebook).
     facebook like other things needs to be done in moderation; just a
     little dab will do you.A  Too many kids end up relying on it to
     boost their own morale and their self-esteem, and then when they do
     something stupid they can't take the shaming.A  How many adults fall
     into this problem?
     I think too many parents aren't watching what their kids are doing;
     the parents are the ones who should boost kids self-esteem and help
     pick them up when they've done something stupid.A  Too many facebook
     friends aren't even acquaintances and yet some kinds rely on their
     every word to stay alive.
     Sorry for devolving this, but I tend to get a little pissy when
     people try to "pressure" me into getting on facebook, or twitter, or
     instragram, etc. when I see hardly any purpose.
     I've got a facebook page and I typically visit it about once every
     six months.A  I don't really need it.
     AsaA  Jay
     Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
     &A  Shelley Marie
     Spokane, WA
     ******************************
     [2]http://www.racingagainstautism.com
     [3]http://www.teampanteraracing.com
     [4]http://facebook.com/racingagainstautism
[...]
     <[5]detomaso-bounces at poca.com on behalf of [6]jjdetrich at gmail.com>A
     wrote:

     A  A The real question is how to measure the Facebook effect. A
     simple and
     A  A meaningful metric is to track new POCA members by asking why
     they
     A  A joined and where did they find out about the club. If Facebook
     gets a
     A  A new member, that can monetized to justify its costs. A second
     metric
     A  A would be it's effect on Pantera prices. That would be a tough
     A  A correlation to analyze.
     A  A Hits are not a real measure of performance until we can start
     to sell
     A  A something through Facebook. Even then it would be a tenuous
     A  A connection.A
     A  A So it comes down to the entertainment factor. At first it is
     A  A entertaining; eventually a nuisance? Your call.
     A  A Jeff
     A  A 6559
     A  A On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Julian Kift