[DeTomaso] Mangusta shift linkage in a GT40??

Daryl Adams daryl.architect at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 08:19:44 EST 2016

Actually the ZF in the GT40 is right side up. The problem is that the GT40
has a specifically designed route through the tub for the shift rod that is
very different from the path the rod takes in a Mangusta. I wonder if Paul
is using the shifter supplied by Superformance. Dennis Olthoff did the set
up on my Superformance GT40 and the first thing he did was replace the
shift linkage with a revised setup of his own design. It has different
geometry, works better and doesn't require grinding off part of the
reinforcing ribs on the ZF case to get the required clearance. I think the
shifter on my Mangusta works pretty well and I would say the gear changes
in my GT40 with the Olthoff linkage are at least as good. Rod type shift
linkage in the Superformance GT40 works best in the right hand drive cars
where the shift rod travels straight back along the fuel sponson per the
original design.