[DeTomaso] Thanks to all who responded on my question about power steering

Jerry Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Wed Dec 28 19:39:12 EST 2016

Sorry I am a little late to the party.  I started gathering parts for
this project last year and a bunch of stuff has gotten in the way for now.
This is about building a DIY EPAS power steering unit.

The you tube video states it can be done for $100 but things have
changed from the time the video was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzCaEjvJeM

Used part locations have found the value of the Saturn EPAS steering
box.  I had to pay $225.00 for mine but it is complete with all the
wiring and plugs intact.  I did purchase the controller from the fellow
in Portugal.  It was still $65.00 the first of this year.  I have those
pieces in stock but have not made any headway on installing it.  I was
looking at under dash instead of under car but have not progressed
passed getting the parts.

It looks like a good project for the Pantera owner.  I have wide tires
on 2 of my P cars but I also have a supercharged stroked 331 Windsor in
my 96 Miata and it is a chore to park.  I pulled its left over unpowered
power steering rack and changed it to manual. It is still a chore to
turn at parking lot speeds.

Am trying to get back on the project just to see how hard it is to
mount.  The rest looks pretty simple with some steering couplers or some
machining.

   [1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzCaEjvJeM
[...]

nks above.

Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message p
osted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant
the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of lis
t messages.