[DeTomaso] starting cold without the use of the choke (NPC)

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Tue Dec 27 17:43:23 EST 2016

On the Ferrari forum there was a discussion of how best to start a Dino-- 6 cyl, 3 Weber carbs (with enrichment valves / chokes)

The majority say "I never use the choke.  Just give it several pumps of gas and after it fires keep the revs up until it idles OK."  I posted that car and carb companies have not been making chokes / enrichment valves for decades because they had nothing better to do, and it didn't make sense to me that the jetting that supplies the correct amount of fuel to a hot engine can also be correct for a cold engine.

Am I wrong?  Seems to me their technique is going to cause premature wear as you rev a cold engine then give you poor drivability until the engine is truly warmed up, but they seem to think not.

Jim Oddie