[DeTomaso] Windshield Seal

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 18 13:22:43 EST 2016

In a message dated 12/18/16 9:50:20 AM, fred at creekspeak.com writes:

I need to get a windshield seal for my '72 Pantera. The one that was
recently installed didn't fit well at all. I was told there is a two piece, but I
was told to get a one piece seal. Any suggestions for a source that has
worked for you. Please EMAIL me. I don't check this list every day. Thanks in
advance.

>>>Fred,

Some of the USA vendors sell a windshield gasket that is truly awful.
AWFUL.   Although it's sold as a one-piece gasket, in a telling admission of
how bad it is, it comes with instructions offering suggestions regarding the
various ways and places you can cut it apart and change it “if” it doesn't
fit (and it never fits).

The good news is that quality seals made by the ORIGINAL supplier in Italy
are still available, but the bad news is that the nominal cost is greater.
However, if you are comparing the cost to install an expensive part that
fits and works perfectly, versus the cost to fit one that requires hours of
labor ($$$) and may or may not work when you're done, the quality solution,
besides being better, is almost assuredly cheaper.

Unfortunately you've already gone down the other path, so now you will have
to pay twice to get it fixed.   But at least you should be happy with the
finished result.

Here is a link to the original supplier in Italy:

http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/Detomaso-148/pantera-148-i05

(Note that they offer original rubber for ALL De Tomaso cars, even
Vallelungas!)

The site is available in either English or Italian; if it comes up in
Italian, click the British flag at the top right corner and it will switch to
English.

The early 1971 Panteras used a complex two-piece windshield molding, while
the 1972-on cars used a four-piece molding.   The two setups use different
rubber gaskets, so be sure to order the correct one.   Cost is 280 Euros for
either one.

If you don't want to order over the web from a company in Italy, you can
order from our buddy Roland Jackel in Hamburg, Germany.   He imports them from
Italy and sells them retail for the same price (last time I checked).   At
least that way you're buying from a friend.   His website is www.detomaso.de
and his e-mail addresses are:

roland at jaeckel-partner.de
detomaso at gmx.com

Roland is a lurker on this forum too....

Mr. Fiat is (apparently) a retailer for this Italian company.   They
advertise De Tomaso rubber and list all the models as well, which suggests that
they are selling the Good Stuff and not the cheap stuff offered by the USA
vendors.   Located in Atlanta, they advertise Pantera rubber here:

http://mrfiat.com/italian/de-tomaso/pantera.html

The cost is MUCH higher here.   However, this reflects the costs of
shipping to the USA and taxes etc.   Nevertheless, armed with the knowledge of how
to buy them directly from European sources, I suspect it would be much less
expensive to go that route, especially considering the Euro has fallen
against the dollar, so your dollar travels further today than it did a few months
ago.

Your installer needs to know that the metal trim needs to be inserted in
the rubber, and the rubber around the glass, BEFORE he attempts to install the
windshield in the car.   If he just wraps the glass with the gasket and
installs it, there's no real way to then add the trim afterwards, as it's held
in place with the crush between the edge of the glass and the edge of the
body.

Hopefully he uses some quality 3M windshield sealant during installation.
My glass was installed dry (25 years ago), and it squeaks when driving down
the road.   I can actually reach up and feel the glass moving inside the
gasket (my aftermarket windshield might be a tiny bit smaller than the
original?).   I've never taken the time to fix it, but a bit of good windshield
sealant would probably do the trick.

Note that Panteras are notorious for leaking at the bottom corners of the
windshield, so special attention should be paid there.

And do NOT simply use conventional RTV silicone.   Jack DeRyke has reported
(and I fully believe) that normal RTV is slightly acidic, and can actually
cause corrosion (and thus leaks) to form.   3M Windshield sealant is The
Good Stuff.   They are a bit proud of it ($$$) but you don't want to cut
corners here.

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out!

   I need to get a windshield seal for my '72 Pantera. The one that was
   recently installed didn't fit well at all. I was told there is a two
   piece, but I was told to get a one piece seal. Any suggestions for a
   source that has worked for you. Please EMAIL me. I don't check this
   list every day. Thanks in advance.
   >>>Fred,
   Some of the USA vendors sell a windshield gasket that is truly awful.
   AWFUL.  Although it's sold as a one-piece gasket, in a telling
   admission of how bad it is, it comes with instructions offering
   suggestions regarding the various ways and places you can cut it apart
   and change it aifa it doesn't fit (and it never fits).