[DeTomaso] Fwd: Re: Tranny Paint Question??

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:52:51 EST 2016

Good information and discussion;

I recall reading previously that polishing aluminum impedes heat dissipation. I related that to the fact that during polishing on a macro scale the surface roughness is reduced resulting in reduced surface area.

My polished stainless headers cool within fractions of what they did prior to adding grey ceramic coating. They are now cool to the touch within minutes.

In the same way that polishing impedes heat radiation from aluminum, so does shiny paint radiate less than matte. I believe colored paints are not much lower than black, the coating thickness (thinner being better) and adhesion being key to achieving good results.

In all of this remember the amount of heat that can be dissipated is dependent on the surroundings i.e. if your trunk is at the same temperature as your ZF there is no heat transfer. Providing cool air flow is king.

Julian