[DeTomaso] Fwd:  body differences - Euro GTS vs USA market car

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Dec 13 22:20:41 EST 2016

Mike,

     Do you know if the bodies were modified to use the round lights?
5093 appears to have been modified to the front corner lights, and a closer to
square rear corner light.   The lights were lost before I bought the car.
I bought a pair of round lights that were described as being for a Fiat and
they fit.   I have not found lights to fit the rear.

>>>Ken,

You should look on the inside of the fenders for evidence of work done.   I
don't know if the cars that came with round dots in front and nothing in
the back, started off with smooth fenders, or if De Tomaso welded in patches.

For sure, your rear lights are non-De Tomaso.   In order to import it into
the USA, it would have had to be retrofitted with rear marker lights, and
whoever imported it just grabbed whatever was at hand to satisfy the DOT.
That's also what Kirk Evans had to do with the Amerisport cars, which is why
those cars have USA-made external side marker lights.   The cars were built
with only round dots in front and smooth panels in the rear; Kirk drilled
holes to accommodate external lights.