[DeTomaso] SORC # 135 Pictures

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun Aug 21 18:35:37 EDT 2016

Vortex Generators were first developed during flight test of the Boeing XB-47 in 1947-8.  The XB-47 was the first large swept-wing jet powered aircraft, and what they realized was that over a certain speed, the outer tips of the wings would begin to lose lift.  As that happened, and the portion of the wing closest to the aircraft and thus, further forward on a swept wing design, maintained lift, it shifted the CG, or Center of Gravity, forward, forcing the aircraft to pitch up in a manner that could not be negated by trim or the horizontal stabilizer (tail).  Adding the VG's to the outer ends of the wing prevented the loss of lift, enabling much higher speeds.

I'm currently working with Capt. Steve Taylor, Chief Pilot for Boeing Flight Services.  His father, Capt., Dick Taylor, was the Chief Test Pilot for Boeing on the XB-47.  He want on later in his career to create ETOPS and work for its' approval with the FAA for long-range twin engine over-water flight when the 757 and 767 were developed in 1978-83.

My .02 from the history books.
Mike Thomas
Pres., Panteras Northwest
Yellow ’74 #6328