[DeTomaso] Radiator Dilemma

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Tue Aug 16 12:03:34 EDT 2016

Larry, what temp thermostat were you running?

Rob DuMoulin
904.476.8744
rob at dumoulins.net
www.kbsi.co
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58

-------------- next part --------------

   [1]rob at dumoulins.net
   [2]www.kbsi.co
   [3]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58
   <[4]larrys at panteraparts.com> wrote:

     I have run the Fluidyne with no shrouds up to 200 MPH. At anything
     below
     150 MPH ran at 180-190 degrees F. At 160 MPH we ran at 210F.A  At a
     165MPH
     running average we ran at 220F. When we were radar clocked at 194
     running
     down a Viper we never ran over the 230 mark but we didnA^1t maintain
     <[5]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of
     [6]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
     >A  A Follow up on my post of my Dennis Q / Ron Davis set up, I am
     not using
     >A  A side shrouds. I just ran SORC'sA  53 miles in the 105 class
     and had
     >A  A speeds to 140. I never caught the temperate reading even 200 .
     RPM's
     ____________________________________

     >A  A From: Mike Drew via DeTomaso <[7]detomaso at server.detomasolist.
     com>
     >A  A To: [8]demongusta at gmail.com; [9]detomaso at server.detomasolist.
     com
> [...]
     >A  A  A It all depends on the configuration of your radiator
     currently.A  Do
     >A  A you
     >A  A  A have it in the stock position, with pusher fans?A  If so,
     the car came
     >A  A  A from the factory with two side pieces and a top cover,
     which helped
     >A  A  A ensure all air flowing through the grille would be forced
     through the
     >A  A  A radiator and not spill around the sides.A  If you don't
     have those,
     >A  A you
     >A  A  A definitely owe it to yourself to get them.
     >A  A  A Do you have your radiator tilted forward, with sucker
     fans?A  If so,
     >A  A  A it's still important to shroud the sides and top as much as
     possible.
     >A  A  A Aftermarket sucker fans are pretty powerful, and while
     there is
     >A  A perhaps
     >A  A  A something to be gained by fitting the back side of the
     radiator with
     >A  A an
     >A  A  A all-encompassing shroud, there is also something to be
     lost, as at
     >A  A high
     >A  A  A speeds the air can stagnate because it can't escape quickly
     enough
     >A  A due
     >A  A  A to the blockage formed by the shroud.
     >A  A  A Johnny Woods uses Flex-A-Lite sucker fans with integral
     shroud on his
     >A  A  A car, and he experienced high-speed overheating that he
     attributed to
     >A  A  A this problem.A  He cut holes in the shroud and fitted
     hinged flaps
     >A  A that
     >A  A  A blow up when the pressure behind the radiator becomes
     excessive, and
     >A  A  A that fixed his problem completely.
     >A  A  A >I've had it for about 12 years now - no leaks.
     >A  A  A >>>Be very happy.A  They have been known to leak,
     especially the early
     >A  A  A ones.A  Sometimes the radiator is so large that it
     physically touches
     >A  A  A the body, and when the body flexes it bends the radiator
     and causes
     >A  A it
     >A  A  A to leak.A  As long as it is properly mounted, with rubber
     isolation
     >A  A both
     >A  A  A at the bottom and the sides, it should be fine.
     >A  A  A So if you have a radiator that isn't leaking, why are you
     talking
     >A  A about
     >A  A  A changing it?A  The Fluidyne radiator is more than you need,
     as long as
     >A  A  A the system is properly bled and the fans are working etc.
     >A  A  A So what exactly are we talking about here?
     >A  A  A >The rumblings on The List lean towards a unit by Dennis
     Quella(?) -
     >A  A  A don't know the correct spelling or the company, but the
     last I had
     >A  A read
     >A  A  A from someone was just to get his radiator and abe done with
     ita.
     >A  A  A >>>That was, I thought, a laughable suggestion to spend
     $2000 to fix
     >A  A a
     >A  A  A $200 problem, of a perfectly good radiator that had sprung
     a leak and
     >A  A  A just needed to be repaired (which it subsequently was).
     >A  A  A >I think it was a double-pass (I guess that's good) - and I
     assume
     >A  A it's
     >A  A  A shrouded.
     >A  A  A >>>The DQ radiator made by Ron Dennis is fantastic, no
     doubt.
     >A  A  A >Another side of me asks - which is better - copper or
     aluminum? And
     >A  A  A Why?
     >A  A  A >>>Aluminum's chief advantage is that it is lighter.A
     However, the
     >A  A  A disadvantage is (supposedly) that it doesn't shed heat as
     well, so
     >A  A for
     >A  A  A equal heat-shedding performance, an aluminum radiator needs
     to be
     >A  A made
     >A  A  A larger, which means it holds more water, which means you
     gain back
     >A  A much
     >A  A  A of the weight you supposedly saved once it's in the car.
     >A  A  A The chief disadvantage of aluminum is that they are
     normally not
     >A  A  A repairable.A  The discussion last week centered around a
     high-quality
     >A  A  A brass Hall radiator that had sprung a leak; a crooked shop
     quoted
     >A  A $600
     >A  A  A to repair it which is as much as it costs to replace it.A
     He took it
     >A  A to
     >A  A  A an honest shop and they totally restored it for $250.
     >A  A  A When you are driving down the road and your radiator
     springs a leak
     >A  A far
     >A  A  A from home, you can normally get a brass radiator repaired
     locally
     >A  A  A without much trouble.A  When an aluminum radiator picks up
     a rock and
     >A  A  A springs a leak, you take it out and throw it away. :<(
     >A  A  A > I know the copper units are heavier, but I am not
     concerned about
     >A  A  A extra weight. I am familiar with the companyA  - Brassworks
     - they
     >A  A have
     >A  A  A been at it since the early 1900's. Ken and Lela MacArthur
     had
     >A  A mentioned
     >A  A  A Brassworks in July. So - here we go - I know the discussion
     will
     >A  A  A generate a fair amount of opinions - which I always
     welcome, since it
     >A  A  A will generate more questions too. Looking forward to
     hearing from all
     >A  A  A the experts - i know you are out there.
     >A  A  A >>>You will likely get differing opinions, and that's fine.
     >A  A  A However, I would say that you are talking about replacing
     your
     >A  A radiator
     >A  A  A without first identifying exactly WHY you are talking about
     replacing
     >A  A  A it?A  If your Fluidyne was leaking, that would be an
     automatic
     >A  A  A response.A  But if it's not leaking, what is your issue?
     >A  A  A Overheating at slow speeds but cools fine when going down
     the road?
     >A  A  A That's either poor fan performance, wrong thermostat
     (Windsor instead
     >A  A  A of Cleveland), or air in the system.
     >A  A  A Overheating all the time, even when going down the road?A
     Almost
     >A  A  A assuredly air in the system.
     >A  A  A Neither condition requires a radiator change.A  If you had
     a stock,
     >A  A  A original radiator that was visibly leaking and whose fins
     had
     >A  A separated
     >A  A  A from the core, for sure you would want to replace it.A  As
     it is, IF
     >A  A you
     >A  A  A even have a problem, it's a maintenance issue.A  In fact,
     changing the
     >A  A  A radiator is likely to make the problem worse, not better,
     if when you
     >A  A  A refill it you don't bleed it properly.
     >A  A  A So please, tell us exactly what is prompting this
     discussion.
     >A  A  A Cheers!
     >A  A  A Mike
     >A  A _______________________________________________
     >A  A Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA
     >A  A Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes
     >A  A DeTomaso mailing list
     >A  A [1][10]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     >A  A [2][11]http://server.detomasolist.
     com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso
     >A  A To manage your subscription (change email address,
     unsubscribe, etc.)
     >A  A use the links above.
     >A  A Members who post to this list grant license to the list to
     forward any
     >A  A message posted here to all past, current, or future members of
     the
     >A  A list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an
     archive
     >A  A or approve the archiving of list messages.
     >
     >References
     >
     >A  A 1. mailto:[12]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     >A  A 2. [13]http://server.detomasolist.
     com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso

     >To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
     etc.) use
     >the links above.
     >
     >Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward
     any
     >message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the
     list.
     >They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or
     >approve the archiving of list messages.
     etc.) use the links above.