[DeTomaso] Newsletters, cost, paper vs. electronic

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Aug 13 18:14:27 EDT 2016

The last I heard (and I may have heard wrong), the board was interested
in doing a -real- accounting comparison of printing costs, so for me,
it's a wait and see kind of thing.  I agree, if POCA was missing out on
full-color and paying $8,000 more for B/W then something is amiss.
However, I also believe Mr. Shortt didn't account for all costs
properly.  I have more faith that the present board members will
properly investigate and sort it out for everyone.

I am on-board with electronic delivery, though I do admit it's nice to
just sit back and read a paper copy too.  It's also easier to hand-off
to Sam so he can read it later.  How do you really fix that?

I would think (and I don't know), that the ClubExpress membership
database might be able to include a "preference" as part of the member's
profile or details.  Just as I can set an address and phone number, if I
could check a box for Electronic delivery or paper copies, or both, and
select whatever I wanted for each item (Profiles versus Newsletter),
that might be ideal.

However, I'm also familiar with quantity discounting.  It very well
could be that it costs the same amount to print 500 as it does to print
50, or 10 (but I doubt it).  I imagine those are considerations the
board will look at as well.

Oh, and in contrast to what Laurie has claimed, I have heard (from more
than one person), that Jack and Mike did not resign "because POCA
changed printers;" it was over "control" of newsletter content that in
essence fell outside the bounds of the by-laws.  For a guy that appeared
to try very hard to get everyone else to follow the by-laws (and it's
unwritten code of ethics), Mr. Shortt certainly didn't feel they applied
to him.

For the record, as I understand it, POCA has changed printers -twice-
since the Fertitta's (sp) (who were related to the DeRykes) got out of
the business.  So the "family tie-in" previously eluded to, was not a
factor in the resignations.

Just my $1.50  (two cents adjusted for inflation)
Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA