[DeTomaso] Radiator Dilemma

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Tue Aug 9 20:15:20 EDT 2016

Dear Jack,

           At the Phoenix Rally a few years ago, one of the featured Tech Session speakers was Ron Davis.  He discussed his radiators.  He answered questions.  I asked him about the pros/cons of aluminum versus brass.   He said that as long as either radiator cooled your engine properly then it was fine.  He said that as long as whatever radiator you're using is working, then *don't* change it for the theoretical benefits of the another.   He conceded the frailties of aluminum and the robustness of brass radiators and did discuss their cooling potentials and limitations.

          I think that the systems by either of the PPC vendors are adequate.  I have heard many good things about Ron Davis.  I currently use brass radiators in both Panteras (for the last 20+ years) and they both cooled properly during the three consecutive heat storm summers we had with more long multiple days of 100+ temperatures.

          I agree with Mike Drew and Ron Davis, if what you're using is working, then don't change it.  If it isn't working or you *really* want to change it, then "you pays your money and takes your choice".

                  Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles