[DeTomaso] Radiator Dilemma

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 9 17:03:26 EDT 2016

Hey all - I need some good advice on radiators. I currently have a Fluidyne
performance unit without a shroud. I've been told that a shroud is a
necessity, which I understand.

>>>Not to put too fine a point on it, but that is not strictly true.

It all depends on the configuration of your radiator currently.   Do you
have it in the stock position, with pusher fans?   If so, the car came from
the factory with two side pieces and a top cover, which helped ensure all air
flowing through the grille would be forced through the radiator and not
spill around the sides.   If you don't have those, you definitely owe it to
yourself to get them.

Do you have your radiator tilted forward, with sucker fans?   If so, it's
still important to shroud the sides and top as much as possible.

Aftermarket sucker fans are pretty powerful, and while there is perhaps
something to be gained by fitting the back side of the radiator with an
all-encompassing shroud, there is also something to be lost, as at high speeds the
air can stagnate because it can't escape quickly enough due to the blockage
formed by the shroud.

Johnny Woods uses Flex-A-Lite sucker fans with integral shroud on his car,
and he experienced high-speed overheating that he attributed to this
problem.   He cut holes in the shroud and fitted hinged flaps that blow up when the
pressure behind the radiator becomes excessive, and that fixed his problem
completely.

>I've had it for about 12 years now - no leaks.

>>>Be very happy.   They have been known to leak, especially the early
ones.   Sometimes the radiator is so large that it physically touches the body,
and when the body flexes it bends the radiator and causes it to leak.   As
long as it is properly mounted, with rubber isolation both at the bottom and
the sides, it should be fine.

So if you have a radiator that isn't leaking, why are you talking about
changing it?   The Fluidyne radiator is more than you need, as long as the
system is properly bled and the fans are working etc.

So what exactly are we talking about here?

 >The rumblings on The List lean towards a unit by Dennis Quella(?) - don't
know the correct spelling or the company, but the last I had read from
someone was just to get his radiator and “be done with it”.

>>>That was, I thought, a laughable suggestion to spend $2000 to fix a $200
problem, of a perfectly good radiator that had sprung a leak and just
needed to be repaired (which it subsequently was).

>I think it was a double-pass (I guess that's good) - and I assume it's
shrouded.

>>>The DQ radiator made by Ron Dennis is fantastic, no doubt.

>Another side of me asks - which is better - copper or aluminum? And Why?

>>>Aluminum's chief advantage is that it is lighter.   However, the
disadvantage is (supposedly) that it doesn't shed heat as well, so for equal
heat-shedding performance, an aluminum radiator needs to be made larger, which
means it holds more water, which means you gain back much of the weight you
supposedly saved once it's in the car.

The chief disadvantage of aluminum is that they are normally not
repairable.   The discussion last week centered around a high-quality brass Hall
radiator that had sprung a leak; a crooked shop quoted $600 to repair it which is
as much as it costs to replace it.   He took it to an honest shop and they
totally restored it for $250.

When you are driving down the road and your radiator springs a leak far
from home, you can normally get a brass radiator repaired locally without much
trouble.   When an aluminum radiator picks up a rock and springs a leak, you
take it out and throw it away. :<(

> I know the copper units are heavier, but I am not concerned about extra
weight. I am familiar with the company   - Brassworks - they have been at it
since the early 1900's. Ken and Lela MacArthur had mentioned Brassworks in
July. So - here we go - I know the discussion will generate a fair amount of
opinions - which I always welcome, since it will generate more questions
too. Looking forward to hearing from all the experts - i know you are out
there.

>>>You will likely get differing opinions, and that's fine.

However, I would say that you are talking about replacing your radiator
without first identifying exactly WHY you are talking about replacing it?   If
your Fluidyne was leaking, that would be an automatic response.   But if
it's not leaking, what is your issue?

Overheating at slow speeds but cools fine when going down the road?
That's either poor fan performance, wrong thermostat (Windsor instead of
Cleveland), or air in the system.

Overheating all the time, even when going down the road?   Almost assuredly
air in the system.

Neither condition requires a radiator change.   If you had a stock,
original radiator that was visibly leaking and whose fins had separated from the
core, for sure you would want to replace it.   As it is, IF you even have a
problem, it's a maintenance issue.   In fact, changing the radiator is likely
to make the problem worse, not better, if when you refill it you don't bleed
it properly.

So please, tell us exactly what is prompting this discussion.

Cheers!