[DeTomaso] NPC: Ford 5.4 liter engine blows out sparkplugs ?

Larry Larry at OhioTimeCorp.com
Mon Aug 8 20:01:37 EDT 2016

Guido David,

I fixed a friend's 2000 Mustang GT that had the same thing happen. He said
it sounded like a gun shot!

On a good plug hole it only had 4 threads on an aluminum head (nice). By
using anti cease (love that stuff) you can over tighten the plug and pull
the threads. If you install plugs that are a bit to0 long in the thread area
you will expose a thread or two in the combustion chamber. After time they
will cake up with deposits. When you remove the plug it will pull the
threads out.

TimeSert was the best way as they use a pin to lock it in.  I used a far
less costly insert to do the job. He never removed the plugs in that car
again. He traded it in on a 2016 550HP Challenger.

Larry - Cleveland

-----Original Message-----
From: DeTomaso [mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com] On Behalf
Of Guido deTomaso
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 7:37 PM
To: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] NPC: Ford 5.4 liter engine blows out sparkplugs ?

 Think this engine is swapped into some Panteras, someone I know had a
sparkplug blow out like a bullet, apparently this is a fairly common problem
according to brief internet research.
Wondering if anyone here has experience repairing a sparkplug hole on one of
these, apparently it's a special shaped hole for a special shaped plug.
TimeSert make a kit, but it's like $600.
Thanks,
GD