[DeTomaso] Has anyone researched hood vent designs? (Dave Londry)

Dan F. Courtney dan at excaliburre.com
Sat Aug 6 18:55:58 EDT 2016

As one who does drive at very high speed I can tell you the front hood does lift at least 2” on “The Beast”, which has two custom hood vents behind the radiator. It has rubber straps to keep it from getting too high, while also letting the air escape.
Also, over 160 mph there is a ton of upward pressure on the rear deck lids. I’ve lost two fiberglass deck lids (one in a somewhat famous incident along the Silver State Challenge route).
We’ve reinforced the hinge pins and louvers are on the drawing board.
I’ve also noticed the car settles down significantly once the rear deck lid is gone. At first I didn’t realize why the rear was finally settling down and holding the ground, until the end of the route when I walked around and noticed the deck lid was gone.

Dan