[DeTomaso] 73 Pantera L dash/floppy a/c vents

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Thu Aug 4 14:29:22 EDT 2016

thanks, guys!
 Sent using Hushmail
On August 4, 2016 at 8:21 AM, larry at ohiotimecorp.com wrote:I have used
small "C" clips to go over the pins that the vents rotate on. This
adds a bit of pressure on the sides to hold them in place. If you have
them all
apart small "O" rings on the pins work well too.

Larry - Cleveland
On Wed Aug  3 15:12 , Mike Drew via DeTomaso  sent:

>I have a similar issue in one of my Sciroccos. I decided I liked the
vents at a certain angle, but they drooped towards the floor. I used a
tiny dab of black
RTV silicone to semi-permanently position them. It's all but invisible
and quite effective.

>Mike
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On Aug 3, 2016, at 12:02, audionut at hushmail.com wrote:
>
>>   Mike Drew, once again, amazes everyone with his unfathomable
quantity
>>   of Pantera knowledge....!
>>
>>   Speaking of dashes--
>>
>>   The a/c vents on #5909 don't stay where I point them for very
long.
>>   Side-to-side works okay, up and down, not.
>>

>>   Just wondering if anyone has come up with a better solution than
>>   have, which has been to wedge in small pieces of the business
card of a
>>   local detailer tossed into my car at the last car event we
attended.
>>   Sent using Hushmail
>>   On August 3, 2016 at 1:18 AM, "Mike Drew via DeTomaso"
>>   detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>>
>>     In a message dated 8/2/16 21 59 40, paso750 at gmail.com writes:
>>     GoNancy's '73 is number 5250.
>>     The date on the door jamb is 4/73 and it has the "right" dash:
>>     2-pod. Its
>>     sister (or brother) car #5249 is the same, and red, too.
>>     Nancy says that the car was lost for a time in the factory
however
>>     (via the
>>     VIN code), and was only finished in April.
>>     It could be that the same thing happened to many of the 2-pod
cars
>>     in '73.
>>     completed
>>     in April '73, as were all the other cars built around the same
time.
>>     By
>>     way of comparison, my car was started and completed in July '72
when
>>     things
>>     were really hopping. By 1974, it was taking upwards of six
months to
>>     complete a Pantera.
>>     Attached is a screen grab of the Ford parts book, which shows
three
>>     different dashboards. This list is quite incomplete however, as
off
>>     the top of my
>>     head, I can think of at least ten (!) different dash
configurations
>>     used.
>>     1: Two-pod, rotary wiper/washer switch, two A/C, three
defroster
>>     slots,
>>     (used on the Euro pushbutton cars, and this is also how the
1971
>>     cars came
>>     off the boat in the USA).
>>     2: Two-pod, rotary wiper/washer switch, three A/C, three
defroster
>>     slots,
>>     (a third A/C vent was added as part of the big recall performed
by
>>     Stroppe
>>     etc., and third A/C vents were apparently also added in at the
>>     production
>>     facility for awhile).
>>     3: Two-pod, rotary wiper/washer switch, two A/C, two defroster
slots
>>     (without hold-down rib between the defroster slots)
>>     4: Two-pod, rotary wiper/washer switch, two A/C, two defroster
slots
>>     (now
>>     with hold-down rib between the defroster slots)
>>     5: Two-pod, separate rocker wiper/washer switches, two A/C, two
>>     defroster
>>     slots (with hold-down rib between the defroster slots)
>>     6: Two-pod, separate rocker wiper/washer switches, two A/C, two
>>     defroster
>>     slots (with hold-down rib between the defroster slots), with
>>     upholstered
>>     wooden block with green dash light in between the A/C registers
>>     7: Molded single-pod (used on the '73 and '74 USA and Euro
L-models)
>>     8: Molded single-pod, with clock above glovebox (USA GTS only)
>>     9: Fiberglass single pod, upholstered either in vinyl or
alcantara,
>>     with
>>     clock above glovebox (Euro GTS and early GT5)
>>     10: Fiberglass single pod, upholstered in leather, with
>>     Maserati-style
>>     A/C vents (later GT5 and GT5-S)
>>     Besides being incomplete, the Ford parts book is also
demonstrably
>>     wrong
>>     when it lays out the VINS that received the single-pod dash.
Thanks
>>     to the
>>     registry, it's possible to see many, many cars that have not
been
>>     modified,
>>     and don't fit the numbering convention laid out in the parts
book.
>>     FWIWa|.
>>     Mike
>>
>> To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
etc.) use the links above.

>> Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward
list. They also
grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the
archiving of list messages.