[DeTomaso] Removal of Michael Shortt as President of POCA

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Wed Aug 3 18:50:04 EDT 2016

Unfortunately, you are in the same position as many other people, not
really knowing who or what to believe.  The best I can say is you'll
have to do your own research.  Or you could personally write Mr.
Shortt and ask him any small number of pointed questions you like (pro
or con), just be cautious you may not enjoy the treatment he subjects
you to.

My interactions with Joe Stockett have all been congenial if not
always in agreement, Mr. Shortt... nowhere near so.

Mr. Shortt has a history of this kind of vitriolic language and
attitude in addition to projecting his own actions and fears onto
others and pointing as if it's their doing, their fault and he's an
innocent bystander.  You can research much if it yourself by browsing
the archives of this email forum or asking the right people.

Many of us had thought he had softened over the years and might do
well as president of POCA because he had good ideas and a strong
desire to make them happen.  In the end, I think we found out he
appears incapable of changing his attitude and (especially language
and treatment of others in his) interpersonal relations.  The
remaining board members decided his demeanor within POCA and the
public image of POCA he was projecting was causing damage to the
general membership and club overall, so they took action.

I believe the illustration of his strong anger and vitriolic messaging
about others reveals his true nature, and it's unfortunate because
most all his alleged "miscreants" were on-board with the changes and
direction; they simply couldn't stand the verbal abuse and other
treatment Mr. Shortt dished out as a puppet-master on the Board,
within the POCA Forum and directly to members.

You may see me as one of the original instigators, that is primarily
because Mr. Shortt threatened to sue me for something I had absolutely
no knowledge of or involvement thereto.  My response to him on that
point served to open a floodgate of dissent by slowly revealing his
true nature to others.  I'm sorry my original actions of personal
defiance dragged others through mud of Mr. Shortt's making; however, I
am not sorry that the Board took action to remove him

For the past many weeks I have tried to remain silent publicly as it
only appeared to create more consternation on-line, which neither this
email forum or the POCA forum needed.  Both needed to get back to the
common good of discussing our common interests.

I'm responding now, because I believe you are in that position of
trying to really discover the truth and it may not be easy as Mr.
Shortt has distorted facts and in most cases totally misrepresented
the truth in attempts to discredit long-standing and respected members
of POCA who may not have agreed with him but were willing to work
toward beneficial solutions to the club. In all that, he would
consistently use demeaning and or vulgar language in an attempt to
punctuate his point and try to make them believable; those who knew
better, would kindly remind him of how he was getting things wrong,
and he didn't like that.

Why did the majority of board members approve changes that you see
today?  Because they agreed these changes were good, and even as Mr.
Shortt has proclaimed... membership has gone up; I would credit that
to the fact the new web site makes it easy to sign-up for the first
time or even renew.  There's no fight there.  Where a fight developed
was in his verbal abuse (shall we call it vulgar bullying?) of other
board members and members at large.

 From an outside perspective it appeared the more the board passed in
the way of changes, the more Mr. Shortt reveled in the power and the
more he refused to change anything about his proposals; instead he
would try to move his idea straight to a vote without any discussion
or allowing any other board members to do research on facts.  Within
all this he would bully and use colorful language you might expect to
find in a military training camp, but which has no place in a
volunteer organization.

There are many individuals who might give you personal testimony
similar to mine and highlight all kinds of nasty things that Mr.
Shortt did, or threatened to do.  (Lawsuits... many, many, many
(baseless) lawsuit threats)

I would encourage anyone who wishes to continue this to please take it
to a personal level and not share it with everyone on this email
forum, or in the POCA forum; send emails directly to those you seek
answers from.  Please don't take that as a demand to stop posting
publicly, as it isn't. (In contrast to Mr. Shortt who wrote such a
demand last year nearly immediately after being confirmed as the new
president of POCA), instead, sit back and recall how much has already
been said, examine it carefully and ask yourself if more needs to be
said.

If it does, it does; and (like me) perhaps saying it will relieve you
of a burden of secrecy.

I wish the best for POCA.
Sincerely,
Asa  Jay

--
Asa Jay Laughton - sent from somewhere other than home