[DeTomaso] 73 Pantera L dash

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 04:18:32 EDT 2016

In a message dated 8/2/16 21 59 40, paso750 at gmail.com writes:

GoNancy's '73 is number 5250.
The date on the door jamb is 4/73 and it has the "right" dash: a 2-pod. Its
sister (or brother) car #5249 is the same, and red, too.
Nancy says that the car was lost for a time in the factory however (via the
VIN code), and was only finished in April.
It could be that the same thing happened to many of the 2-pod cars in '73.

>>>Well, the car wasn't “lost”.   It was started in January and completed
in April '73, as were all the other cars built around the same time.   By
way of comparison, my car was started and completed in July '72 when things
were really hopping.   By 1974, it was taking upwards of six months to
complete a Pantera.

Attached is a screen grab of the Ford parts book, which shows three
different dashboards.   This list is quite incomplete however, as off the top of my
head, I can think of at least ten (!) different dash configurations used.

1:   Two-pod, rotary wiper/washer switch, two A/C, three defroster slots,
(used on the Euro pushbutton cars, and this is also how the 1971 cars came
off the boat in the USA).

2:   Two-pod, rotary wiper/washer switch, three A/C, three defroster slots,
(a third A/C vent was added as part of the big recall performed by Stroppe
etc., and third A/C vents were apparently also added in at the production
facility for awhile).

3:   Two-pod, rotary wiper/washer switch, two A/C, two defroster slots
(without hold-down rib between the defroster slots)

4: Two-pod, rotary wiper/washer switch, two A/C, two defroster slots (now
with hold-down rib between the defroster slots)

5: Two-pod, separate rocker wiper/washer switches, two A/C, two defroster
slots (with hold-down rib between the defroster slots)

6: Two-pod, separate rocker wiper/washer switches, two A/C, two defroster
slots (with hold-down rib between the defroster slots), with upholstered
wooden block with green dash light in between the A/C registers

7:   Molded single-pod (used on the '73 and '74 USA and Euro L-models)

8:   Molded single-pod, with clock above glovebox (USA GTS only)

9:   Fiberglass single pod, upholstered either in vinyl or alcantara, with
clock above glovebox (Euro GTS and early GT5)

10:   Fiberglass single pod, upholstered in leather, with Maserati-style
A/C vents (later GT5 and GT5-S)

Besides being incomplete, the Ford parts book is also demonstrably wrong
when it lays out the VINS that received the single-pod dash.   Thanks to the
registry, it's possible to see many, many cars that have not been modified,
and don't fit the numbering convention laid out in the parts book.

FWIW….