[DeTomaso] Yellow Ebay/Craigslist 72 For Sale Recently in Seattle Area - need diagnostic help

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Wed Apr 20 21:01:11 EDT 2016

So, you will recall that a month or so ago there was a yellow '72 with a
dinged up right side alternately for sale on Ebay and Craigslist here in the
Seattle area.  I did get a chance to go inspect the car, and it turned out
to be less than advertised as far as being able to run and drive, but
appeared to be a fairly solid straight car other than the garage incursion.

The fellow representing the estate was there for the inspection, and as it
didn't sell on either site, he elected to take it home to see if he could
get it running for the estate agent to improve their chance of selling it.

About two weeks ago I got a call from him that after he had swapped out the
old gas and flushed the carb, it started right up.  All seemed to be well,
the oil looked clean enough, so he took it for a short drive.  About a mile
or two out, it backfired once loudly and abruptly died.  When he called, I
told him the first likely culprit was the dizzy pin, and sure enough, when
he pulled it out, the gear was spinning freely.  Now the interesting part.
When he put a socket on a long extension and tried to turn the oil pump, it
was seized!

I don't know if the car has a removable cross member or not, but told him
the only likely way to get the pan off was to pull the engine, and if the
pump has seized, there may be something far more terminal going on.  No way
to know until he can pull the pan and see the pump.

What else can you suggest that I can pass on to him?  He is currently a
Porsche guy (has an original '56 550 spyder, and an original  '56 speedster
with a Carrera engine, among others.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Thomas
Pres., Panteras Northwest