[DeTomaso] Future of the email list

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 07:34:40 EDT 2016

My points.

1.  I agree with everything that Asa said.  I work in IT.  If we stop
attachments, we stop the problems with servers blocking users.  It isn¹t
mailman.  It¹s the spam protection on the servers downstream - gmail,
yahoo, etc.  Everyone that has managed bulk e-mail sent to the Internet
has seen this problem.

2.  This list is one of the best assets of the Pantera community.  If it
changes significantly or becomes a pay-only service, then I¹m out.

3.  Michael, I like what is being done on the website.  I haven¹t seen it
yet, but they are all good ideas.

4.  We can have both - the website updates and the e-mail list.  They are
not mutually exclusive.  If POCA makes an e-mail list that is better than
the current format, people will move to the new format on their own.

5.  I strongly disagree that nothing should be free.  Some of the best
things in life are free.  Once you have to pay for it, it either isn¹t
enjoyable or you wouldn¹t pay for it, even if it¹s cheap.  Would you join
Facebook if you had to pay $20?  What about Twitter, yahoo groups,
youtube?  How many of us have watched the engine masters videos?  Would
you pay per view?  How many of us download free apps, but won¹t pay $1 for
the same type of app that might be better?

6.  Of course, I understand that the mail list, the website, Profiles,
etc. costs money to run, and that¹s why I¹m a POCA member - partly for
Profiles + the newsletter, but also to help support the community.

Will.