[DeTomaso] Email Forum Opportunity

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:28:24 EDT 2016

You'll just have to wait and see to completely understand the vast
difference in your experiences in the past with other systems and what we
are doing.

The bottom line is keeping it at poca.com is not an option.

The cars for sale section and how to buy a car are going to be on the
public side of the website. Actual car listings, with photos.
There will be a small fee to cover the website workers time to post it.

I wouldn't presume too much, the forum is far more complex, it doesn't
compare to PI at all.

I'm sure that when MSD boxes came out, lots of Pantera owners swore that
points were were better and there were people who probably swear an MSD
system is superior to a crank trigger , multi coil Electromotive system.

There is no way this forum encourages membership, the opposite is true. It
chases people away, it is a PR nightmare.

The new website will do more for membership recruiting than anything, it's
unfortunate that earlier BODs couldn't accomplish what we have done. Its
taken a real team effort to make it happen, we have conflicts to be sure,
but not one elected member coasts through these decisions, we scrum over
some of them, sometimes it gets muddy.
We all care deeply about the club and are doing what's best for it, with
900 people some are bound to not agree, the vast majority like what we are
doing and approve.
The club Presidents who attend the monthly Cleveland Block calls are a
great indicator of what is pushed forward and what doesn't fly.
I.e. we are not changing the membership due date to be Jan 1 for everybody.

Having said all that, a member has stepped forward and volunteered to
relaunch it.
So all of your concerns may be for nothing, it may be down for a month
while it is copied and reloaded(its over 100gb) , but it will rise again.

So everybody can relax, the pony express will live a bit longer.

Michael

   This comes up regularly and there are a large number of DeTomaso
   regulars who still like the old style email forum, me included.A  It is
   open to any Detomaso enthusiast, has a long history and I believe the
   quality of the responses for tech questions is generally better.A
   Personally, I don't see why we need a "new" style POCA forum when we
   already have the PI forum. It isn't really be a "new" style forum,
   these types of forums have been around for 20 years. And the PI forum
   works exactly the same way as the proposed "new" one from POCA, is open
   to everyone, has been around for years, and it has a long history of
   searchable information that will take forever to build up, especially
   in a new "members only" restricted POCA forum. It has what is called
   "dominant market share" (by business people trying to decide whether to
   compete against an established product like the PI forum with something
   new) for that type of forum catering to DeTomaso enthusiasts. Why
   reinvent the wheel.
   Furthermore, POCA has had a "new" style forum available for years on
   the POCA website. Despite several efforts over the years to get it used
   by the members, it never caught on. Why do we think it will this time?
   And the big question is, will the experts that so graciously help us on
   the email forum move to the new POCA forum, especially since none of
   them moved to the old "new" style POCA forum, and many have not have
   been active on the PI forums.A
   For this reason, I truly hope that someone can take over the POCA email
   forum. Or perhaps POCA members can make their opinions known to the
   Board that they want to keep the old email based one going.A
   Lastly, one of the goals enumerated in the POCA By-Laws is to promote
   the Detomaso Marque. The email forum does that because it is populated
   by more than just the members of POCA, including many folks looking for
   a car. What better way to build awareness of the marque. Will a members
   only forum do the same thing?
   My 2 cents,
   Jeff
   6559

   On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Michael Shortt