[DeTomaso] Email Forum Opportunity

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:09:05 EDT 2016

I think a "members only" restricted POCA forum would be a mistake.  When it
was relatively new, I joined Shane Ingate's DeTomaso email forum on a
lark.  I'd recently blown up the first 351C I'd ever built and knew
Panteras run Cleveland V8s so maybe I'll join and pick those guys brains.
I'd never entertained the idea of purchasing an exotic car like a Pantera
as I didn't think I'd fit and was put off by what I assumed would be a
Ferrari-like cost of maintenance.  Coincidentally, one of the first threads
was on fitting a tall driver in a Pantera and, over the following months, I
learned that Pantera owners were often gearheads who had disassembled and
reassembled their cars, learned how to modify, maintain and repair them and
were willing to share that knowledge freely.  Maybe, just maybe, Pantera
ownership would be within my reach so I joined POCA (and later PI) and met
some members who schooled me on the ins and outs of purchasing a Pantera.
Eventually, I found a Pantera, made a deal and was on the adventure of a
lifetime.  Without that forum, which welcomed outsiders like me, I would
have never joined the forum, likely never bought a Pantera, never started
the 351 Cleveland dyno project nor met all the great people I've met along
the way.  I think my life would have been poorer without it and if that
means that I, as a dues paying POCA member, need to subsidize a few free
riders along the way, that's a price I'm willing to pay.  Anyone else feel
that way?  You can always have a premium section for dues paying members
only, if you'd like.

Dan Jones