[DeTomaso] Superperformance Daytona

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sat Apr 16 09:37:02 EDT 2016

A misconception of the Superformance Daytona Coupe is that it is a
reproduction. A criticism is that it is not an accurate reproduction. In
reality it is neither.

When Peter Brock developed the Daytona Coupe, many in the Shelby team did
not want to help him. Shelby let him work on it though. The first time at
the track the speeds were so fast it suddenly became their primary focus.

My impression is that at the time Peter Brock was more talented and
experienced then others believed or wanted to believe and he wasn't not
overly vocal or boastful about it. I am sure others were fighting to be
king of the hill too and others with their own agenda's did not help them.
That's just the politics of life sometimes.

When they raced the car, the car was not finished. They needed to race it.
With quickly advancing technology it was soon suppressed by other
advancing designs. When they were raced in Europe Shelby did not even want
the cars any more. He checked with the government to dump them in the
ocean but he had to pay fees. It was cheaper to bring them back.

Fast forward. Shelby left the country to run from numerous people he owed
money or cars to. When he left he told the Cobra Kit builders "good luck,
I didn't have any". Upon his return around 7 years latter he sued all the
Cobra kit car company he could. Most with shoe string budgets caved.
Superformance did not. They fought and beat Shelby in court.

Superformance is backed by a much larger company with capital wich is seen
in their well funded design work on their cars.

Fast forward a little further, Superformance approached Peter Brock about
the Daytona Coupe. Peter said he did not do kit cars. After much
convincing he agreed to meet. They told Brock he could have complete
design control. He could complete what he started in the 60's and it would
not leave the factory until he gave the ok. Peter was impressed enough to
agree to do so.

The car is not a reproduction but rather Peter Brock finishing the car he
was working on in the 60's. It did over 200mph first time out as a street
car with air conditioning. I don't really consider this a replica or a
reproduction but an authentic continuation of the original car by the
original designer; not by a Ford design group or anyone else.

It was originally called the Brock Coupe but unfortunately Shelby wormed
his way back in and is now called the Shelby Daytona Coupe.

The Ford GT is an excellent modern tribute car. The SuperFormance Daytona
Coupe is the real deal in my opinion.

>    Have any of you owned a Superperformance Daytona - they look like
interesting cars - I would like to talk to folks who have owned them.
If you are game to talk about them, please send me an e-mail outside
the forum and I'll find a time we can talk by phone.  Flip side, if
you