[DeTomaso] A/C replacement

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Thu Apr 14 13:07:02 EDT 2016

I didn't previously weigh in on replacing the condenser.  Mine didn't look all that bad when I pulled it out, but when I started cleaning it I found the fins to be very thin and pretty brittle.  Sure, it would likely have worked, but, after having air from behind the car, which would be "enhanced" with exhaust components as well as particulates, it really needed cleaning and it wasn't cleaning up really well.  So, I decided to replace it.

In a separate e-mail Asa asked " Were the remote fill lines an off the shelf item?"  I went to a local hydraulic hose supplier and had the remote fill line made up.  Used a bulkhead fitting for mounting to an angle bracket that I made up to fit at the passenger-side end of the camber-brace.  It laid in slick, then inserted a standard R12 connector that I got from an A/C shop.  I used 1/4 inch high-pressure hose, per the hose supplier's recommendation.  Probalby fills a little slower than if I had used a larger hose, and definitely took a while to add the oil charge.  But, so much easier than connecting directly to the compressor.

The attached shows the location of the fill point.

The extra connectors between the swirl tank and the Freon charge point is the connect for the FI O2 sensor and the diagnostic connector.

Stephen Nelson