[DeTomaso] Headers

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 15:32:25 EDT 2016

No, you're right on. Stainless headers were once offered by all the usual US vendors, but the cost of fabricating headers using a TIG welder is labor-intensive, so be ready for a price of at least $750-up. Cheaper is usually suspect. A contributing factor was a few people complaining about fit-up- a usual complaint with Panteras that vary from car to car. The cylinder heads used, the year of the car and the sound level you can tolerate also have a part.  And there are at least four different stainless steels that have been used- some were "barely-stainless" from the Far East. SS-301 and -302 will rust and are slightly magnetic! One well known engine builder ordered a few lengths of cheap ss as a check before ordering $10,000 worth of stock, and found one of the 6ft long pipes was carefully polished, clear-coated mild steel!

Useable SS is non-magnetic and does not conduct heat, sound or electricity very well, so the engine bay temp and even the sound level both may drop a little. It will turn blue under heat near the heads- motorcycles have had to live with this effect for 50 yrs. Header systems are slow-moving items for vendors due to the price- call around and see if a Pantera vendor will custom-make you a set. E-Bay sets will not likely fit- systems must practically be built on the car in question to be sure of a good fit. SS doesn't need to be Jet-hot-coated but if it is, the inside coating may help flow a little by smoothing the joints. Repairs can be done but again- only with a gas-shielded welder such as TIG. Argon is now over $100 a bottle and helium is even higher. This is a 5X increase from 10 years ago. Good luck- J DeRyke