[DeTomaso] Headers

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 15:02:57 EDT 2016

Michael,

SS is often used as the material for the construction of exhaust systems including headers. It has some desirable qualities but also some undesirable ones. It's more expensive and often results in an annoying, 'tinny' sound.

Wilkinson's (fantastic) exhaust system is available in both mild steel and stainless flavors. I prefer the mild steel version although I confess that's based on past prejudice. I've never heard/seen the stainless version.

The mild steel headers are painted with the worst crap in the world which burns off instantly. We had to pull Lori's headers and have them properly coated which cost $170.

If I was in the market for exhaust, I would definitely recommend Wilkinson's setup over anything else. Take your pick of all SS, or mild steel w/coating. Sounds great and makes terrific power as dyno proven by Dan Jones (31hp increase over factory GTS on a 500 hp engine)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone