[DeTomaso] Shorter front shocks?

Scott Bell scott at saccrestorations.net
Sat Apr 9 13:36:10 EDT 2016

Yes GD, that would indeed work. But, the way to do it is to reduce the extension with an external limiting device like a bump stop or a limiting strap. Limiting straps are very comment in the off-road area.

However, this is a band-air to the real problem of the shock being too long. When I say too long, I am talking about a very small amount. About an inch or so.

By the way, If the shock were to become fully extended and hit its internal stops, it isn’t really an issue for modern shocks as they are design for such things. It also isn’t common for the car to become un-weighted for so long that you are going to extend the shock 100%. If that is happening a lot you need adjustable shocks were you can adjust the rebound dampening to prevent such occurrences.

Again, this problem ONLY occurs when trying to lower the car a great deal while maintaining a high spring rate. The solution is NOT a shorter spring. The solution is a shorter shock (a small amount) or a limiting device to prevent the suspension to become extended to the point that the spring is loose between the perches.

Scott