[DeTomaso] Pantera and 351C mechanical fuel pumps

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Wed Apr 6 17:43:46 EDT 2016

Dear Forum,

                         Last year there were no 351C fuel pumps other than
the bare bones humble Carter stock units.  Holley had quit making their hipo
unit.   Summit, Jeg's and others did not sell them.   I don't think that I
could find one on a Google search.   Jack DeRyke has written in the
newsletter that the list of Cleveland parts that are no longer available
included: mechanical fuel pumps.

                           Things seem to have changed.   I am currently
building another engine and I was looking for a mechanical unit that was
less than the full tilt $200 McPerformance pump that I bought for the last
engine.  This engine's power is notably less and unit more than stock and
less than full tilt was ideal.

                        The usual searches showed nothing other than the
Carter unit and a "Spectre" Chinese knock off.

                          Through the miracle of Google I found two
noteworthy items:

1)       Jeg's now stocks a hipo fuel pump made, their tech line believes
,in Taiwan or China.   It bears a remarkable similarity to what I recall of
the Holley hipo unit.  Jeg's unit is about $46 and has a year's warranty and
can be returned if they actually sell you a Windsor unit.  Their website
does picture a *Windsor* pump and they said that the picture of the Windsor
pump is only "representative".  If you order and it ain't  a Cleveland then
you can return it at their cost and get a refund---they said.

                                       Jegs part number 707-R2306

2)        Ebay has about a dozen vendors of essentially the same pump
showing the same picture of either the Windsor or Cleveland pump.  The
prices range from $31 to $55.   Warranties are unknown.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-351C-351M-400-HIGH-VOLUME-MECHANICAL-FUEL-PUMP-
8PSI-140GPH-1009-C-/222067607020?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

3)      The Carter unit is $20 at Summit and Jeg's

                     So, the exact quality is uncertain, but there are more
choices than the $20 Carter or the $200 McPerformance units.

                                     Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles