[DeTomaso] GT5S REAR AXLE BEARING SIZES

Larry Stock larrys at panteraparts.com
Mon Apr 4 13:48:05 EDT 2016

I think your generally correct here Colin, but there were several
variations that were used in the DeTomaso axle bearing configurations that
can confuse people. Interestingly enough, DeTomaso knew that they had a
problem, but misdiagnosed the early easy solution. The SKF recommendation
for the axle press fit was -.0002² to -.0005² press fit tolerance.
DeTomaso made their axles right on the low side of a -.0002² press fit,
which made them easier to assemble, but when the bearings began to wear
and bind, they spun their inner races on the axles. Since there was no
room for wear on the axle, a worn spun bearing meant that they took out
and had to replace the axle, or worse yet if left to continue wearing
would eventually break off the axle, and the wheel. The simple fix was to
make the axle larger, but then we need to heat the bearings while Chilling
the axles for installation.
Instead they at first choose to double up on the ball bearings in the
upright housing, then they used a wider roller type bearing, then they
went to your GT-5S design where they redesigned the axle bigger and
tapered the spacer and added a moisture barrier seal.
Larry Stock

On 4/4/16, 9:06 AM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Colin Bradshaw"
<detomaso-bounces at poca.com on behalf of Colin.Bradshaw2 at BTInternet.com>