[DeTomaso] Factory seat types

marshall smith marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 30 12:43:24 EDT 2015

I have had an "L" car and have a push button now. These appear to be early seats with the center section reupholstered.

They are not adjustable. The bolts on the back bottom only keep the seats from hinging forward. I removed my bolts years ago to be able to fold the seats forward to allow access for storage behind them. The seat backs rest against the bulkhead which allows me the most amount of leg room.

One thing that I experimented with and found to make the stock seats much more comfortable and more supportive is to remove all spacers in the back and stack 4 or 5 spacers in the front. Good quality seats ALWAYS have a rake backwards on the bottom which the stock Pantera never did solely because of how it was installed.
No spacers in the back gives the most amount of head room which I desperate needed and raising the front allows more support for your thighs and gives a touch more lateral support. Loosen the bolts, remove the rear spacers and slide one or two 2X4s under the front of the seat as a test. You'll be surprised at the comfort. This works well for the people wishing to stay stock but needing more comfort and support from stock seats.

Late model seats are fixed with no hinged back so this may not work for those but trying is cheap and takes only minutes so you may wish to experiment.

Marshall Smith
President, San Diego Panteras