[DeTomaso] fuel line story

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Sep 28 14:24:21 EDT 2015

In a message dated 9/26/15 12:27:49 PM, hoppe1 at cox.net writes:

> no warning-  no minor leak-  complete braided stainless steel line
> failure- maybe 1000 miles but probably 7 years old.
>
> If they are 4 or 5 years old change them!
>

>>>A couple of thoughts:

You say it was a 'braided stainless steel line failure', but the braided
stainless steel isn't what failed--it's what's underneath it that failed.

So, what was underneath it?

The stainless steel is simply a finish.   It's like paint, just there for
bling.   Oh, sure, it has some protective qualities in that it will protect
the line underneath from external injury, but that's it.   It doesn't do a
thing to help keep the fuel inside the line.

Most of these hoses are simple rubber hoses with bling added on the
outside, and thus they are no better or worse than conventional rubber hoses when
it comes time to actually keeping the fuel inside.   You say you have fuel
injection.   Do you have fuel injection HOSE?

Normally rubber fuel line is NOT suitable for use with fuel injection,
which operates at much higher pressures.   When you go to the local auto parts
store and buy rubber fuel hose, they sell it in both flavors.   The fuel
injection fuel hose is necessarily quite a bit more expensive; it's noticeably
stiffer and thicker for a given inside diameter.

So, what kind did you have underneath your steel braid?   If it was just
conventional hose, it was bound to fail, and I'm surprised it lasted as long
as it did.

If you had actual fuel injection hose, then I'm surprised it failed so
quickly--it should have lasted far longer than that.

Personally, I have NO use for rubber anywhere in my fuel system.   I have
braided stainless steel TEFLON hose, which is substantially more expensive,
but is completely immortal and never needs changing.   The complete setup,
from tank through filter through mechanical pump to carburetor, cost over
$400, and in retrospect, I should have followed the factory's lead and just used
flexible line from the tank to the inlet of the pump, and use hard line
from the pump outlet to just before the carb fuel feed, with a short length of
hose joining the two.   That would have saved a bunch of money.

So anyway, you've fixed your car now--but is it truly fixed, or is it just
waiting to blow apart again because your new fuel hose isn't up to the task?

Do tell...wouldn't want that thing to go up in flames!!!!