[DeTomaso] One step forward, two steps back

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Sep 27 19:14:32 EDT 2015

On my car, the horns were feeble and sometimes didn't work at all.  All I did was locate them behind the passenger-side front wheel, take them out, write-brush the metal horn bracket (which is the ground for the horns), wire -brush the contact point where the bracket bolts on to the body, wire-brush the bolt, put electrical-connection contact  gel on all of it, and put the horns back in.  They immediately worked perfectly from then on.

Chris.

Sent from my Windows Phone
Charlie, when my horns stopped working and I needed them for an upcoming conclurs where all factory stuff must work,  I  started tracing the wiring. It is a grounding circuit and I chased the horn ground clear back to the stalk where the button is.  I found that the stalk is hollow and the final ground is inside the stalk. There is a small lump under the black paint about halfway up the stalk where the wire is soldered by means of a drilled hole so a ground is established. I removed the paint from the lump and heated it up with a soldering iron while pushing on the wire inside the turn signal switch. When the solder reflowed, the wire once again became a ground & the button honked the horns. That was 30 yrs ago & they still work, Good luck.

Sunday,September 27, 2015 11:47 AMTo: detomaso at poca.comSubject: [DeTomaso]

One stepforward, two steps backHi allAfter my 6100km road trip from Spain toSweden this summer, my car fellapart on the way home.Both door lockswere damaged during a theft attempt (along with 5 otherPanteras) inCopenhagen.My radiator started leaking just about as fast as I couldpour water intothe tank (but we got home without overheating, so I won'tcomplain)AS mentioned here, I found that one of my rims developed aserious crack.And last but not least, my horns stopped working.I wasall excited yesterday because I had changed one of the locks in thedoor and itworks well, and as an added bonus I changed the bulbs in thedoor so that theynow come on when you open the door. I had forgotten aboutthem, to behonest!Today I set about doing what I thought would be an easy task -changing thehorns. I bought a new Hella airhorn a few weeks ago. The swapitself wasfairly straightforward - remove the stock Fiamm compressor and Iactuallydecided to leave the stock horn bodies and just use the newHellacompressor. Before putting the panel back in the car I checked to makesureeverything worked properly, and with 12v to the compressor it blowsquiteloud, especially when you are holding them in your hands.Iinstalled the panel in the car, turned the key on and hit the horn button.andwas greeted by silence.My horn relay is new. The compressor works, asdemonstrated during thepre-installation test. What would people suggest Icheck to determine whatthe problem is? It could be the turn signal stalk, butthose are expensiveand I'd rather not just throw money at the problem beforebeing able todetermine exactly where the problem is. What's thetroubleshooting procedurenow?Thanks.Signed, ratherdiscouraged. Only 9 months until Le Mans Classic and at thisrate I'mwalking.._______________________________________________

 DetomasoForum Managed by POCAPosted emails must not exceed 1.5 MegabytesDeTomasomailinglistDeTomaso at poca.comhttp://poca.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_poca.comTomanage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the linksabove._______________________________________________Detomaso ForumManaged by POCAPosted emails must not exceed 1.5 MegabytesDeTomaso mailinglistDeTomaso at poca.comhttp://poca.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_poca.comTomanage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the linksabove.