[DeTomaso] Powdercoating Campi rims

Jeff Cobb jeffcobb1 at me.com
Wed Sep 23 22:25:37 EDT 2015

Brian has done a fine job of laying some info down about unqualified fears regarding powder coating magnesium wheels. Not one of us desires to waste time, money and energy so to wind up damaging our wheels or us if we did cause a metallurgical breakdown.
   I had 19 pre 71 Maserati, deTomaso and Lamborghini rims stripped, prepped, cleaned and powder coated in 2007. Only one had a problem, I dropped a wrench on an Espada  rim while rim was laying on floor. It created a small chip which I filled in with silver color WURTH rim paint and a pinpoint brush. No other issues have shown up. The Bora and Ghibli rims were done normal thickness while the Espada and Mangusta rims were done thin coat, {3 mills ? or so } because it was important that the original rough cast marks and line creases and workers marks still be able to be seen. So the original imperfections are there yet strongly protected with powder coat.
   My mechanics and I cleaned all rims with a combination of Aircraft Paint Stripper, scrub brushes, 4,000 psi pressure washer with a rotating 0 deg nozzle, Foamy Gunk and baking soda to neutralize. Sand, walnut shells, glass and soda blasting was NEVER considered as that process will or could, not known to me and not willing to risk, damage and change the grain structure and face pattern of the rims.
We took great care not to damage any of the original Zinc Chromate and if we did then we brush painted more Zinc Chromate over that area.

   Then had the powder coat man to heat up the rims and do his job quickly and let the rims cool down overnight in his oven. I believed that heating up quickly which was only getting somewhat hotter, though close to the same heat ramp up time as hard core racing and having the brakes heat the rims.
   So I was just using basic liquid cleaners sweat, pressure washer and a hard heat up though slow cool down to cure the paint. They are beautiful and dependable.

Some basic info.
http://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=ktn&NM=157

Thanks for the thread,

Jeff Cobb